The first Presbyterian congregation in Wingham was organized in 1862. A frame building on Victoria St. in Lower Wingham was replaced with a brick building on higher ground on Josephine St. in 1882. The church was named “St. Andrew’s” in 1895. The large, yellow-brick church served as a place of worship for 82 years.
In May 1964, disaster struck-the northwest corner of the church. The building collapsed but thankfully on a Monday. The building was declared unsafe and after careful deliberation, the congregation decided to demolish the damaged building and rebuild. Many people devoted untold hours to planning the numerous details involved in the task of rebuilding St. Andrew’s. One of the main objectives of the architect, Douglas Brown, was to communicate to the worshipper a sense of Divine Presence. He believed the modern design of St. Andrew’s should lend an impression of quiet dignity and symbolize the simplicity of our Presbyterian faith and heritage. The new church was dedicated in Apr. 1966.
Over the next ten years, the industrious people of St. Andrew’s strove together and worked towards the payment of the debt of the church. It was paid off in full in May 1976. In 1991 an elevator lift was installed to make St. Andrew’s fully accessible to those with physical challenges.
In total there have been 12 ministers at St. Andrew’s. St. Andrew’s has also been blessed to have nine youth pastors serving since the early 1990’s. Youth have been a major focus for St. Andrew’s for many years. Youth groups, bell choirs, drama and arts and sports’ groups have flourished at St. Andrew’s. The Good Samaritan Fund was established in 1982 and continues today to offer assistance to those in need. In 2006, a Seniors’ Coffee hour was started on a monthly basis. Mission, discipleship and outreach continue to play a major role in our thriving faith community.